Note: If you are running AuthAnvil Password Vault v1.7 or earlier we recommend upgrading to the latest version via https://help.scorpionsoft.com/hc/en-us/articles/218318627
When opening the AuthAnvil Password Server login screen, a red error message appears saying "Failed to Load Org List from Service" and users are unable to log in.
Note: In older versions of AuthAnvil Password Server, the login screen may refresh and no error message is displayed.
The AuthAnvil Password Server is unable to communicate with the database through the web service. This can be caused by several database and web-related issues.
- Scenario 1 - SQL Service is stopped or in an invalid state.
- Scenario 2 - No network access to the SQL Server.
- Scenario 3 - AAPSUser account in SQL does not have proper login privileges to the AuthAnvilPasswordServer database.
- Scenario 4 - The "AAPS.svc" web service is not able to be resolved or is using https to communicate.
- Scenario 5 - The 'AuthAnvilPasswordServer' database has AutoClose set to "true" and other connections or backup tools are interfering with AuthAnvil database connections.
- Scenario 6 - The web site where AuthAnvil Password Server is installed requires SSL communication. Browsing to the AAPS.svc web service will show a 403.4 Forbidden error. The following error also appears in the Logging\FailureReport.log file:
Failed to run Scheduler tasks. Error: The HTTP request was forbidden with client authentication scheme 'Anonymous'.
- Scenario 7 - (Server 2003 running AAPV v22.214.171.124 or earlier) The server certificate is being handled incorrectly and produces a certificate error in the FailureReport.log file.
- Scenario 8 - IIS was not properly installed before the AuthAnvil Password Server was installed. This prevents IIS from applying proper permissions during the installation.
- Scenario 9 - IIS_IUSRS does not have proper permissions to C:\Windows\TEMP and the file at Logging\FailureReport.log shows the following error:
Failed to contact Licensing Server. Error: Unable to generate a temporary class (result=1).
error CS2001: Source file 'C:\Windows\TEMP\nyxmdiop.0.cs' could not be found
error CS2008: No inputs specified
- Scenario 10 - (Server 2012 only) The file Logging\FailureReport.log shows the following error:
Failed to run Scheduler tasks. Error: The remote server returned an unexpected response: (405) Method Not Allowed.
- Scenario 11 - Application event log shows the following error:
Exception: System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The service '/AAPS/AAPS.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation. The exception message is: Could not load file or assembly 'App_Web_rskc0boy, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Here is a list of possible resolutions matching the scenarios above
- Fix 1 - Restart the SQL service where the AuthAnvil Password Server has its database installed.
- Fix 2 - Make sure the SQL Server is accessible and able to be resolved over the network.
- Fix 3 - Verify that an AAPSUser account exists on the SQL instance (Security -> Logins). It must have the sysadmin server role, use SQL Authentication and be enabled to log in to the database.
- Fix 4 - Follow the instructions in Appendix B of the AuthAnvil Password Server Install Guide https://help.scorpionsoft.com/hc/en-us/articles/218318387 to find the web service URL. Check hosts files and DNS entries to ensure that the domain name of the server is resolving to the correct IP address. Make sure the service URL is resolvable by this machine and does NOT use https to communicate.
- Fix 5 - In the properties of the AuthAnvilPasswordServer database, select Options and change "Auto Close" to "False".
- Fix 6 - Upgrade to v2.5 of Password Server following this Guide . We can also add HTTPS/SSL support to PWS v2.0 via this Guide.
- You may also need to disable the "Require SSL" settings. In IIS 7, open SSL Settings on the web site where the AuthAnvil Password Server is installed and un-check the "Require SSL" box, then click Apply.
- Fix 7 - Follow the upgrade procedure on the AuthAnvil Password Server documentation page or backup and reinstall the server to upgrade to the latest version.
- Fix 8 - Uninstall the AuthAnvil Password Server, install IIS with the ASP.NET role and reinstall the AuthAnvil Password Server.
- Fix 9 - Modify the permissions for C:\Windows\Temp so that IIS_IUSRS has the "List Folder / Read Data" permission. (In IIS 6 / Server 2003 allow NETWORK SERVICE the "List Folder / Read Data" permission)
- Fix 10 - Add the following server feature through Server Manager > Manage > Add Roles and Features:
.NET Framework 4.5 Features > WCF Services > HTTP Activation
- Fix 11 - Open Control Panel > Programs and Features. Select Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and click "Uninstall/Change" to open the maintenance dialog box. Choose to Repair .NET Framework 4 to its original state and click Next. This will repair .NET Framework 4.0, recovering the file that was not being loaded.
All versions of AuthAnvil Password Server (unless otherwise specified)